Re: An incompatible behavior from bash?

On Mon, Aug 22, 2022 at 1:00 AM Liu Xin <navy.xliu@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I hold the wrong impression that zsh is compatible with bash. I just assume it because I see both Ubuntu and MacOS have replaced bash with it.

Zsh is mostly compatible with POSIX shell provided that it is invoked
via the name "sh" (e.g., when linked to /bin/sh).  Bash is similarly
compatible with POSIX when run this way.  When run under their own
names, zsh and bash differ from POSIX in different ways.

Apple and Ubuntu appear to have concluded that zsh's POSIX
compatibility is sufficient to use it as "sh".  I won't speculate on
other motivations.