Re: Inconsistent behavior of ERR_EXIT with conditionals

On Tue, Nov 8, 2022, at 1:51 PM, Philippe Altherr wrote:
> *Is there any chance that Zsh could be changed to more closely follow
> the specification above? *

I don't have time right now to provide more tests or otherwise
elaborate, but I am pretty sure that no shell exhibits the behavior
you want, and I am *very* sure that said behavior would violate
POSIX in one way or another.  I know that zsh does not aim for POSIX
compliance, but that doesn't mean it ought to take a feature which
is currently highly compatible with other shells and change it to
be completely incompatible.

I strongly object to any of these proposed changes, except ones
that bring zsh into closer alignment with other shells.  (These are
arguably bugfixes.)

--
vq