Re: Path with spaces in _canonical_paths

On Wed, Nov 23, 2022 at 6:14 AM Daniel Shahaf <d.s@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Bart Schaefer wrote on Mon, Nov 21, 2022 at 13:32:41 -0800:
> > On Mon, Nov 21, 2022 at 9:41 AM Thomas Gläßle <thomas@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > >
> > > +  local -a tmp_buffer
> > > +  compadd -A tmp_buffer "$__gopts[@]" -a files
> > >  [...]
> > > +    matches+=( "${(@)tmp_buffer/$canpref/$origpref}" )
> > >     else
> > >       # ### Ideally, this codepath would do what the 'if' above does,
> > >       # ### but telling compadd to pretend the "word on the command line"
> > >       # ### is ${"the word on the command line"/$origpref/$canpref}.
> > > -    matches+=(${${(M)files:#$canpref*}/$canpref/$origpref})
> > > +    matches+=(${${(M)tmp_buffer:#$canpref*}/$canpref/$origpref})
> > >     fi
>
> The comment quoted above concerns how the candidate completions are
> compared to the word on the command line.  The comment says that,
> instead of applying s/foo/bar/ to the word on the command line and
> comparing the result against the raw candidate completions, the reverse
> is done — s/bar/foo/ is applied to the candidate completions and that's
> compared to the raw word on the command line

Hrm, but in both cases (even before the diff) the substitution is
s/$canpref/$origpref/ ?  Your explanation here would seem to imply
that in at least the second case the substitution should look like
s/$origpref/$canpref/.  The difference is that in the first case
$tmp_buffer is the result of filtering with "compadd ... files" and in
the second case we're altering the elements of $files directly.

> Adding or removing -Q or {(@)} (or ${(b)}, cf. workers/39080) might well
> be independent of that issue, though.

I believe the difference here is also compadd -- it performs the
quoting changes that -Q then has to account for.  So when we modify
$files directly in the second branch, we have to also emulate the
quote behavior of compadd.  My previous suggested patch perhaps didn't
go far enough in that direction?