Re: zsh does not offer ssh host from config

Jan Palus wrote on Fri, Dec 09, 2022 at 02:06:50 +0100:
> Hi,
>
> I've got a single real hostname starting with 'build' prefix which is present
> in my known_hosts file. I also have a couple Host specifications in ssh config
> file having names starting with 'build' but real HostName does not resolve to
> name starting with 'build'. When doing `ssh build<tab>` I'd expect to be
> offered both real hostname as well as Host specification names, however only
> real hostname is immediately completed. That's because of _ssh_hosts returning
> on successful hosts completion:
>
> # If users-hosts matches, we shouldn't complete anything else.
> if [[ "$IPREFIX" == *@ ]]; then
>   _combination -s '[:@]' my-accounts users-hosts "users=${IPREFIX/@}" hosts "$@" && return
> else
>   _combination -s '[:@]' my-accounts users-hosts \
>     ${opt_args[-l]:+"users=${opt_args[-l]:q}"} hosts "$@" && return # <--- HERE
> fi
>
> Is this intentional that config file parsing is skipped entirely if host was
> completed successfully?

That «return» was added in https://www.zsh.org/users/11333 with the
intention of skipping config file parsing if a match was found /in the
users-hosts style/.  However, in a quick test with these fictional
values:

[[[
% zstyle -L \* users-hosts; echo $?
1
% tail -2 ~/.ssh/config
Host completion-test1.zsh.org
        HostName 2001:db8::zsh
% tail -1 ~/.ssh/known_hosts
completion-test2.zsh.org,2001:db8::zsh x-not-a-real-identifier abcdef01
%
]]]

I observe that «ssh completion<TAB>» only offers completion-test2.zsh.org,
not completion-test1.zsh.org.  I take it both should be offered (since
users-hosts is unset).