Re: [bug] busyloop upon $=var with NULs when $IFS contains both NUL and a byte > 0x7f

> 2022/11/30 18:21, Peter Stephenson <p.w.stephenson@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> On 30/11/2022 04:20 Bart Schaefer <schaefer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote
>> On Tue, Nov 29, 2022 at 6:41 AM Peter Stephenson
>>>
>>> I guess the obvious thing to do here is any time s doesn't move
>>> give up splitting at that point.
>>
>> I reported the infinite loop back in workers/50472 ("out of memory
>> error" thread), although the cause doesn't appear to be exactly the
>> same.

I hope the problem (workers/50472) has been fixed by workers/50851⁩
(commit f8d9388).

>> I suppose if s doesn't move we could forcibly advance to see if
>> another possible split occurs later.  Unless there's clearly a way to
>> determine that the lack of movement is due to upstream user error
>> (such as invalid IFS value in this case)?

That would be better, but:

> Engaging finger-in-the-air mode suggests in a case like this just trying
> to be safe is the best we've got, unless we have proof positive we can
> do something better in some likely scenario

And, if we modify wordcount() then we need to modify sepsplit() and
spacesplit() (and others?). That may be doable, but I want to leave
it for future (for someone else?).