Re: zsh_error_db --- hash-based database of error messages

On Fri, 2022-12-16 at 17:46 +0000, Daniel Shahaf wrote:
> Peter Stephenson wrote on Fri, Dec 16, 2022 at 16:42:53 +0000:
> > Following on from the retread of the discussion on error messages,
> > here's a very simply proof of concept for a hash-based database of
> > error messages.  Even if it's adopted I don't intend the C code
> > to get much larger as the point is to allow it to be able to do
> > everything in shell code.
> >

> So, tl;dr:
>
> - Every error message would get an E42 identifier in the source string.
>
> - The "E42" will be looked up as a string key in a well-known assoc,
>   where the value will be a more elaborate error message.
>
> - The more elaborate message, if there is one, will be used instead of
>   the default message.

Yes, that's it in a nutshell; any further complexity would ideally
be in shell code.

I think at least we need something better than E <num> to try to avoid
duplicates, for example E <file-code> <num>.  It's easy to search
the file for a duplicate, a bit more of a pain to search the entire
codebase.  Maybe a two letter code, so we can have ZW for zle_word.c?

> Code review below.

I think those are all accurate, I'll update for the next version.

pws