Re: zsh_error_db --- hash-based database of error messages

> If we want to address internationalisation, we might come to regret not
> just using the normal POSIX catgets(3) interface and catalogue files.
> What they do looks simple on the surface but there's probably hidden
> areas of complexity that we'd end up duplicating. I can see the value of
> allowing things to be done in shell code but the two are not mutually
> exclusive.

Actually, internationalization was only one possible use.  The idea
was to allow for more descriptive error messages for those who wanted
them.  But if that's not going anywhere this can be ditched.  It was
only a proposal to allow the minimum of work within the shell internals
that seemed it might get something off the ground.

> E and a number sounds fine.

It sounds like that, and a script to keep this in order, is the way
this would be heading, if it seems worth pursuing.  The script
should be able to list out the default messages, checked for
duplicates, and check for the next unassigned number.  If
the number appears in a macro, as noted by Daniel, that makes
it easy.  That can use ## to join strings so still doesn't
need a change to the message API.

pws