Re: Read a line from user without clearing screen below the prompt while allowing user to use arrow keys to make edits in middle of line

On Sat, Dec 31, 2022 at 5:14 AM Oliver Kiddle <opk@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> The first idea that came into my mind was to try setopt singlelinezle

That was my first thought too, and I also tried setting LINES=1 along
with it, but no help.

> I think the clearing from
> the cursor to the end of the window serves a purpose in general.

In fact I think it's issuing both move-to-first-column as well as
clear-to-end.  It wants to know exactly what positions the prompt
occupies and have free rein over the rest.

Seems like it should be possible to do something with a tweaked
read-from-minibuffer as the vared initial-widget, but I think vared is
going to end up clearing at least the entire last line of the screen
no matter what.