Re: Subscript flag (i) not working correctly on empty strings?

On Fri, 2023-01-06 at 10:12 -0800, Bart Schaefer wrote:

> > > Why is the last line 0 and not 1?
> >
> > Certainly looks plain wrong.
> > None of the existing tests fail with this change.
>
> I thought there was a discussion about this at some point in the past
> ... but it may have been limited to array cases.  I have the feeling
> we concluded that (i) and (I) should produce the same result on empty
> string for purposes of boolean tests, but I can't find such a
> conversation in the archives.

Can you think of any piece of shell code that might rely on this,
in the absence of any historical corpus?  As far as I can see
this is a plain misuse of (i), which isn't there for boolean tests.

This doesn't feel to me like a big issue anyway and in the absence of a
clear cut reason I would think consistency should triumph.

pws