Re: Weird bug / missing feature with gvim interaction

On Sun, Mar 5, 2023 at 5:34 PM Felipe Contreras
<felipe.contreras@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I've been investigating for a while a weird interaction with vim and
> zsh, and this is the closest I've gotten to narrowing down the
> problem.

Seems to be a race condition or similar, related to the fact that zsh
does an "exec" (without forking) of the very last external command
that it's asked to run, whereas bash and most shells always fork and
wait.

> 2. fork with setsid (the grandchilds are sent SIGHUP)

I believe there is no grandchild, because zsh has replaced itself with
xdg-open.  If I either run xdg-open under strace -f, or wrap it in
another script that runs
/bin/xdg-open "$@"; sleep 1
then it all works.

What's not clear is where the HUP is coming from, if you're right
about that signal.  If this were a tty ownership issue, I'd expect a
TTIN or TTOU.

Puzzlingly, using "nohup xdg-open ..." doesn't help.