Re: Why is an 'x' appended in _prefix completer?

On Wed, Mar 8, 2023 at 4:49 AM Mikael Magnusson <mikachu@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> See the comment above addx() in zle_tricky.c and get_comp_string() (i
> don't actually recommend looking at this code).

I always wondered why Sven chose to use "x" instead of, say, something
out-of-band / non-printable.  I guess with metafication etc. maybe
there wasn't any such thing.

Anyway, as I recall it, the point of the extra character is to help
completion distinguish the position of word breaks when completing
somewhere other than at end of line.