Re: [Bug] modules zsh/tcp, zsh/zftp unloadable, probably affecting most modern Linuxes

Hi,

Debian's zsh maintainer writing here.

On Sun, Jun 04, 2023 at 10:37:21PM +0200, Marcus Müller wrote:
> Bit more debugging: Doesn't work with Fedora 30 / glibc 2.29, does work with
> OpenSUSE leap 15.2 / glibc 2.26.
>
> For that reason I must assume the regression must have appeared between
> release 2.26 in August 2017 and release 2.29 in Februrary 2019.

Can confirm that this is reproducible on Debian 9 Stretch, 10 Buster,
11 Bullseye, 12 Bookworm (and testing/unstable as of now).

It does not happen in Debian 8 Jessie.

On Sun, Jun 04, 2023 at 02:17:30PM -0700, Philippe Troin wrote:
> > > 4. in zsh: `zmodload zsh/zftp`
> > >
> > > Actual Results:
> > > zsh: failed to load module `zsh/zftp': /usr/lib64/zsh/5.9/zsh/zftp.so: undefined symbol:
> > > freehostent
>
> Interestingly:
>
>    % zsh -f
>    % echo $ZSH_VERSION
>    5.9
>    % rpm -q zsh
>    zsh-5.9-5.fc38.x86_64
>    % zmodload zsh/zftp
>    zsh: failed to load module `zsh/zftp': /usr/lib64/zsh/5.9/zsh/zftp.so: undefined symbol: freehostent
>    % autoload zfinit
>    % zfinit
>    % zmodload zsh/zftp
>    % zmodload
>    zsh/compctl
>    zsh/complete
>    zsh/main
>    zsh/net/tcp
>    zsh/zftp
>    zsh/zle
>    zsh/zutil
>
> If you look at zfinit, it loads zsh/net/tcp first.
>
>    % zsh -f
>    % zmodload zsh/net/tcp
>    % zmodload zsh/zftp

Can confirm this on at least Debian 12, too. (Haven't tested elsewhere.)

> Since I think you're supposed to initialize zftp through zfinit, I do
> not think this qualifies as a bug.

Depends. zshzftpsys(1) says in its second paragraph:

  If the shell is configured to load new commands at run time, it
  probably is: typing `zmodload zsh/zftp' will make sure (if that runs
  silently, it has worked).

So this suggests that "zmodload zsh/zftp" suffices. (And I think
there's something missing in that sentence behind "will make sure
(…)".)

Then again in the "INSTALLATION" some paragraphs later, there's

  fpath=(~/myfns $fpath)
  autoload -U zfinit
  zfinit

mentioned, but it seems only necessary if zftp didn't come
preinstalled.

So it still looks like a bug to me, just one with an easy workaround.

		Kind regards, Axel
--
PGP: 2FF9CD59612616B5      /~\  Plain Text Ribbon Campaign, http://arc.pasp.de/
Mail: abe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx  \ /  Say No to HTML in E-Mail and Usenet