Re: [Bug] modules zsh/tcp, zsh/zftp unloadable, probably affecting most modern Linuxes

> On 06/06/2023 15:38 Jun. T <takimoto-j@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>

> > 2023/06/06 18:05, Peter Stephenson <p.w.stephenson@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> >> On 06/06/2023 07:42 Jun T <takimoto-j@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >>
> >> Why '-z now' is used when building binary packages? For security?
> >
> > I think this is just so that failure to find symbols at all will
> > show up quickly in the build rather than at run time, which would
> > be a real pain.
>
> I think '-z now' is to mark (add the flag) zftp.so so that the
> dynamic linker resolves all the symbols when _loading_ it;
> the symbols are not resolved when _building_ zftp.so.

Yes, it does say it gets applied at the point of dlopen(), so it's
explicitly counteracting RTLD_LAZY.

Is this specific to the Fedora configuration in their own source
package?  I don't see an obvious sign the standard zsh build itself
is making this choice.  configure has some system-specific tweaks
for dynamic loading, but not this.

pws