Re: Minor "git" irritation

Hi Bart,

On Wed, Jul 19, 2023 at 10:58:32PM -0700, Bart Schaefer wrote:
> Now "git describe --tags" returns that tag name,

For me, "git describe --tags" usually does _not_ return git tags but
git tags with some information added how far you are away from the
next tag:

  ~/zsh/zsh-upstream → git describe --tags
  local-test-3-g5ec469503

"local-test" is the tag and "3" the amount of commits since then and
"5ec469503" the current HEAD commit id (beginning).

> However, "git tag --delete $(git describe --tags)" says "tag not
> found".

That's to be expected for the above mentioned reasons unless you check
out that tag first.

> I don't know how it's possible for describe to return a tag that
> doesn't exist, or how it got that way, but here I am.

It does not return tags. I think that's the problem here. :-)

		Kind regards, Axel
--
PGP: 2FF9CD59612616B5      /~\  Plain Text Ribbon Campaign, http://arc.pasp.de/
Mail: abe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx  \ /  Say No to HTML in E-Mail and Usenet