Re: Should we "fix" this declaration?

> 2023/09/11 7:00, Bart Schaefer <schaefer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>    have_edits = 0;
>    Histent he;
>
> That's from users/29175, but we've previously followed the old C
> format that declarations have to be at the start of a block.

I personally think we don't need to "fix" this.

The current zsh source already uses 'inline' function (new in C99, I think)
in hashtable.c. This is added by commit 6f6363d (Jul. 28, 2020). If I try
to build zsh on macOS (Apple clang 10.0) with CFLAGS='-std=c89' then it
first fails due to this inline function (may also fail on other files).
On Ubuntu 22.04 (gcc-11.4) CFLAGS='-std=c89' seems to give lots more errors.

I have no idea what kind of old compilers are still in use, but even if
they are not 100% compatible with C99 (especially some library functions),
I think they support '// comment' and 'mixed declarations and code'.