Re: history expansion - modifiers :h and :t - questions

On Tue, Oct 24, 2023 at 12:23 PM Jim <linux.tech.guy@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> print ${DirPath:h$N}
>                   ^ does not work
> Error message:  "zsh: unrecognized modifier"

Yes ... "$" is not a digit.  Parameters are not expanded here.

You can get around this with ${(e):-\${DirPath:h$N}}

> I'm not sure if the following is an inconsistency or not.  Man page for :t states that
> 0(zero) is treated the same as 1. Should this also apply to :h?

The documentation for :t is being a bit too literal.  More accurate
would be to say that 0 is always the same as having no digit at all.
In the case of :t counting from right to left :1 is also the same as
no digit at all, but for :h counting from left to right that's not the
case.