Re: PATCH: Avoid \e in C code; building on Solaris 11

On Sat, Dec 9, 2023 at 3:04 PM Oliver Kiddle <opk@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> Incidentally, I tried whether the new ${ print -x4 $foo } form might
> also work here and it results in an extra trailing blank line in each
> case. Is that difference expected?

Yes, ${ ... } is defined to not strip trailing newlines the way $(...)
does.  I first had the new form too but decided $(...) was more
obvious than using "print -n".  If you don't need current-shell
semantics, it's a toss-up whether a subshell or a temp file read/write
is going to be more efficient.

No objection to the diff_arg patch on my part.