sched waits for next prompt. Does it have to?

Hi everyone,

zsh is the 5th shell I've used... it is by far my favorite so far
surpassing even tcsh and bash, IMHO.  However, I'm having a little
trouble with the sched commend.  I'd like it to perform the action at
the specified time rather than at the next prompt: for example, when I
want it to act as an alarm clock, or as "at", etc.

I've tried setting the NOTIFY option, which didn't change the behavior.

Is there a solution other than using at or tcsh's sched?

Thanks in advance,
Henry Ware