using old zsh (login shell) to launch new zsh (not in /etc/shells)

I've got an account where they are running a 2.5.x version of ZSH.

I want to run 3.0.0

How can I launch 3.0.0 from my .zshenv without going into a loop
(and making sure the zsh exist?

/usr/local/bin/zsh
	is the old one, and is in /etc/shells

/usr/local/luomat/bin/zsh-3.0.0
	is the new one and is NOT in /etc/shells (and I can't add it)

I thought I could do this:

if [ "$ZSH_VERSION" != "3.0.0" ]
then

	if [ -x /usr/local/luomat/bin/zsh-3.0.0 ]
	then
		exec '/usr/local/luomat/bin/zsh-3.0.0 -l'
	fi
fi

I want to start 3.0.0 as a LOGIN shell, so it will souce .zshenv

However, it does not work, it says that
'/usr/local/luomat/bin/zsh-3.0.0 -l' doesn't work because there is
"no such file"

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks
TjL

ps -- please CC me, as I seem to no longer be part of the list (I'm
trying to get back on)