why "stty: TCGETS: Operation not supported on socket" ????

	Hello all,

	Does anyone know why I would be getting the above error messages
from zsh.

	It seems to be caused by defining the STTY envariable, and executing a
sequence of commands hooked together via shell pipes from my .zshrc
file.  For each pipe, I get one of the above stty error messages.  If I
unset the STTY envariable, the problem goes away  (I even get the error
messages if the envariable is set to the empty string!)

	Why ?  What does setting this envariable have to do with operation on
a socket.  Isn't this envariable ignored unless the shell (i.e.
command) being run is an interactive shell ?

	I'm running this on a SunOS 4.1.3 box, but I've also seen it on a
Solaris 2.5 machine.  This is with Zsh 3.0.0.

	Thanks for any clues,
	greg

- --
Greg Sylvain                  Phone: 301.918.1985
                              Fax:   301.918.8154