precmd() and history

I'm having a problem with Zsh 3.0.2 under FreeBSD 2.1.0. It doesn't seem
to honor the hist_ignore_dups or hist_ignore_space options. Also, just
pressing enter will add a blank line to the history.

This only happened when I added the precmd() shell function. I recently
switched from Bash to Zsh, and I used to use the Bash PROMPT_COMMAND
variable to append new history lines and read lines that have been
added. I like to keep the history more-or-less syncronized when I switch
between multiple xterms.

Any suggestions? My zshenv is below.

# ~/.zshenv - Zsh environment.
export PATH=/sbin:/usr/sbin:/bin:/usr/bin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/local/sbin
export HOME=/home/steve
PROMPT="%n@%m:%/%# "
SAVEHIST=120
precmd() {
	fc -AI ~$USER/.history;
	fc -R ~$USER/.history;
	# Reset terminal (Lynx 2.6 messes up the cursor keys)
	if [ $TERM = xterm ]; then {
		echo -en "\033>\033[?1;3;4;5l\033[?7;8h";
	} fi;
}
dir() {
	ls -l $* | more;
}
setopt noclobber correctall auto_menu notify hist_ignore_dups \
	hist_ignore_space hist_no_store;