for syntax differences from ksh

	i wrote the following function in ksh to easily add directories
to my path.  it worked fine there, but when i try to use it in zsh, it fails.

addpath () {
for pathdir in $*; do
   if test -d $pathdir; then
      PATH=$PATH:$pathdir
   fi;
done
}

	in my .zshenv, this fn is then called with a list of dirs as its
argument (actually, the line is
addpath $pathlist
where pathlist is defined as the list of dirs, separated by spaces).  the
for loop, which in ksh interprets the list of dirs as a list, works fine,
in zsh instead interprets the list as one large directory name; the test
-d then fails, and no dirs are added to the path.  so what is the proper
syntax for doing this?  and is there someplace that lists the
logic/syntax for the various shell operators in zsh, and how they differ
from ksh?  i've picked up a few, through trial and error, but haven't yet
found a good reference.

	tia,
	sweth.