Glob'ing for a pattern that DOESN'T match...

I'm trying to write a `compctl' for `rm' so that `rm' will never complete
on various source files (.c, .h, .cc, .c++, etc.) and am having no luck
in getting it to work.

One of the biggest problems is that ZSHEXPN man page says that:

    ^x   matches anything except the pattern x.

but for the life of me I can't get it to work, even from the shell!

Any ideas on what I might be doing wrong?

Thanks,
Eddy

P.S. The version of zsh currently installed in 3.0.2, I noticed 3.0.5 is
     available but haven't compiled it yet.

--
Eddy J. Gurney