Re: howto: no space after completion (this used to work in 3.0.5!!!!)

> I have a folder /LocalApps
>
> it has an alias $lapps

Normally, I'm not picky on terminology, BUT, I believe you meant to use
'paramter' instead of 'alias'.

> when I do
>
> # cd $la[tab]
>
> I get
>
> # cd $lapps [cursor here]
>
> but I actually want
>
> # cd $lapps/[cursor here]
>
> so I can use tab-completion to get the listing of all the files inside $lapps

All of the relevant options you list below seem to be set appropriately.
Be sure to check, however, that /LocalApps actually exists on the system.
If it does not, zsh will not expand the parameter as a directory.
(IE, with a trailing slash and no space).

Generalizing this observation:

Zsh will only expand a parameter to a directory (trailing slash) if the
directory exists RELATIVE TO THE CURRENT PATH. So, if there is a 'loc'
directory in my home directory, but NOT in /, you get the following:

lyric[220]: cd
lyric[221]: DIR="loc"
lyric[222]: cd $DI[TAB]		# yields $DIR/
lyric[222]: cd /		# 'loc' doesn't exist under /
lyric[223]: cd $DI[TAB]		# yields $DIR

As implied above, several options have to be set correctly to do the
expansion in the first place, and have the cursor placed where it is.
But you already have them set up correctly.

Let me know if this helps or not.

PS. Now what would be cool is if someone took the time to write a
completion function that would examine the permissions on directories
and only complete on directories that fell under a specific set of
permissions and ownership. (For example, use a
complete-executable-dirs function to complete cd with)