zsh and pine pipe command

Depending on my setting for the SHELL variable, sometimes I can
get the pipe command to work (and produce some output), and sometimes
I can't.

For example with
SHELL=/bin/sh or /usr/bin/csh or $HOME/local/bin/zsh
(where local/bin/zsh is a script that determines the system I am on,
then invokes the real zsh), the pipe command works fine.

However, with
SHELL=/usr/bin/tcsh or $HOME/apps/OSFv4/bin/zsh-3.0.6
I get the message from pine '[PIPE MESSAGE command completed]'

and with SHELL=$HOME/apps/OSFv4/bin/zsh-3.0.5
I get the message from pine
'[PIPE MESSAGE Result: zsh: command not found: ^C]'

As far as I can tell, the shell is invoked with options -c command,
and with stdin coming from the mail message, and if I
include the command 'cat' in .zshenv, the mail message is displayed
OK (so stdin must be OK up until at least then).

Any ideas what is going on?

This is with zsh-3.0.5 and zsh-3.0.6 on a DEC-alpha OSFv4,
with pine 3.96.

Thanks,
Owen