completion bug?

I have found an interesting completion bug in 3.1.6 which did not
exist in 3.1.5.  Here is the gist of it.
$ some_command $(<.s
at this point I hit tab and I have a directory called .ssh.  Instead of
completing it, it adds another '.' and then beeps at me.  If I complete
the directory name itself, then type tab for the contents, it then
reinserts the directory name again.
$ some_command $(<.ssh/
now it inserts .ssh again after the forward slash.  If I type in the
the first character of the name I want completed it works fine.  It's
a totally weird bug.  You have to try it yourself to understand it.  I
tried it in 3.1.5 and it didn't do this.