Zsh Mailing List Archive
Messages sorted by:
Re: rm -r
- X-seq: zsh-users 2798
- From: Thomas Köhler <jean-luc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
- To: zsh-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
- Subject: Re: rm -r
- Date: Wed, 22 Dec 1999 14:24:33 +0100
- In-reply-to: <7dhfhbt8zt.fsf@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>; from alexandre.duret@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx on Wed, Dec 22, 1999 at 01:12:22PM +0000
- Mailing-list: contact zsh-users-help@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx; run by ezmlm
- References: <385E4BD6.7835A11@xxxxxxxxxx> <m27li91srf.fsf@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> <19991222013128.B2262@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> <m2vh5s5doy.fsf@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> <19991222105856.A2667@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> <7dhfhbt8zt.fsf@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
On Wed, Dec 22, 1999 at 01:12:22PM +0000,
Alexandre Duret-Lutz <alexandre.duret@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >>> "TK" == Thomas Köhler <jean-luc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
> TK> On Tue, Dec 21, 1999 at 07:52:29PM +0100,
> TK> fg <francis@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >> BTW, whats the argument limit for zsh?
> This limit is not set by zsh but by the underlying libraries/OS.
> Moreover (correct me if I'm wrong) it is usualy set in term of a limit
> on the size of the environnement plus the size of the parameters (not
> realy the number of these).
Ah. Now I understand this much better.
> TK> zsh: argument list too long: /bin/echo
> This a standard message printed from `strerror(E2BIG)' after
> `execve(...)' returned the error `E2BIG' to zsh. In other words,
> that's the C library speaking to you through zsh.
Yes, makes sense.
> TK> Ah, the limit is at 32766 arguments. (On Linux-i386)
> Well, for *you* and with this particular case of arguments list!
Right. Using different parameters, the limit (in
"number-of-arguments-allowed") was smaller.
> TK> Here's the few situations where I need find again... :)
> Since `echo' is builtin (therefore not exec'ed), you may want to do
> echo PATTERN | xargs COMMAND
> when `COMMAND PATTERN' don't work.
Cool idea. *very* cool.
Perhaps I should even build a cool preexec() that handles this? Perhaps
some time in the future...
> Alexandre Duret-Lutz
Thomas Köhler Email: jean-luc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx | LCARS - Linux for
<>< WWW: http://home.pages.de/~jeanluc/ | Computers on All
IRC: jeanluc | Real Starships
PGP public key: http://www.mayn.de/users/jean-luc/PGP-Public.asc
Messages sorted by: