makeinfo problem with 3.1.6?

[I'm using the standard tools that came with RedHat Linux 6.1]

The zsh 3.1.6 binaries built fine, but I get the following errors from
`makeinfo':

  $ make                                                                ~/zsh-3.1.6/Doc
  makeinfo ./zsh.texi; exit 0
  ./zsh.texi:975: Use braces to give a command as an argument to @'.
  ./zsh.texi:982: Use braces to give a command as an argument to @'.
  ./zsh.texi:982: Use braces to give a command as an argument to @'.
  ./zsh.texi:2343: Use braces to give a command as an argument to @'.
  ./zsh.texi:5548: Use braces to give a command as an argument to @'.
  ./zsh.texi:5770: Use braces to give a command as an argument to @'.
  ./zsh.texi:8459: Use braces to give a command as an argument to @'.
  ./zsh.texi:9229: Use braces to give a command as an argument to @'.
  ./zsh.texi:9317: Use braces to give a command as an argument to @'.
  ./zsh.texi:10639: Use braces to give a command as an argument to @'.
  ./zsh.texi:11120: Use braces to give a command as an argument to @'.
  ./zsh.texi:11343: Use braces to give a command as an argument to @'.
  makeinfo: Removing output file `/home/johnc/zsh-3.1.6/Doc/zsh.info' due to errors; use --force to preserve.
  $ makeinfo --version                                                  ~/zsh-3.1.6/Doc
  makeinfo (GNU texinfo) 3.12h

  There is NO warranty.  You may redistribute this software
  under the terms of the GNU General Public License.
  For more information about these matters, see the files named COPYING.
  $                                                                     ~/zsh-3.1.6/Doc

I don't know `texi' and `makeinfo', but like using `info' in Emacs.  Any ideas
how to fix this?

[Please Cc me on any replies, as I'm not on the mailing list]

Thanks,

    --- John