Re: PATCH: colors (was: Re: ever-expanding ZLS_COLORS and Tags vs. groups, and ZLS_COLORS)

On Jun 19, 10:45am, Sven Wischnowsky wrote:
} Subject: PATCH: colors (was: Re: ever-expanding ZLS_COLORS and Tags vs. gr
}
} And now everyone can easily have a look at the problem that made me
} withhold this (simple) patch:
}
}   zstyle '*:hosts' list-colors '=a*=33'
}   zstyle '*' users ich du er alfred
}   zstyle '*' hosts alpha beta gamma
}
} Now try `ssh <TAB>'. `alfred' is coloured.
}
} Is this still better than the previous state?

In some respects, yes.

The first style above now means "color yellow those words beginning with
`a' any time hosts are listed among the completions."  Previously it meant
"... only when hosts are listed in the completion group named `hosts'."

The issue of course being that what one would rather have is "color yellow
those *hosts* beginning with `a' ...", but completion can't differentiate
what is a host except by what group it is in.

It's much easier now to see (in _setup) what you meant when you discussed
looking up the style by group name rather than by tag name.

Anyway, I think this new situation is easier to document, and makes more
sense than the old way when the tag name is wildcarded.