RE: Trap and exit

The `exit value of exit command' is defined in second sentence that was taken
from the description of exit command. This is `n, if specified'. That is, exit
status of command `exit 59' is 59. Actually, this makes sense - it sets $? to
59 and exits shell, leaving it with `exit status of last command'.

Of course, Unix standards are known to use the most obscure wording possible.

> % cat foo
> trap 'echo trap: $?' 0
> false
> exit 59
> % zsh ./foo
> trap: 1
>
> But then, you could argue that the false was the last command before the
> script exited, and is hence the one referred to in this case --- given that
> this is exactly what happens with an implicit exit by falling off the end.

The last command executed was `exit' not `false'. So, the above is a bug in
any case - exit status is either 0 or 59 (depending on exit status of exit ...
ough :-)

> To summarise: bleah.

Well, it adds to functionality in any case; and youor example IMHO counts as
bug. sh and ksh scripts do not expect this anyway and won't be broken. But
there are more chances that bash/ash scripts will run properly.

-andrej