Re: `make' completion in zsh-3.1.9

"Bart Schaefer" <schaefer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> On Mar 18,  2:13am, Andrew Morton wrote:
> } Subject: `make' completion in zsh-3.1.9
> }
> } /usr/src/linux> make menu<tab>
> }
> } the shell locks up for about ten seconds, recurring into every
> } directory of the kernel tree doing *something*.  Finally,
> } it comes back with `make menuconfig'.
>
> It's running "make -nsp --no-print-directory -f Makefile .PHONY" to
> cause make itself to output the list of possible completions.  I
> don't know why this would be taking 10 seconds or more -- it
> finishes in 1 second or so on my machine.

Here's the sort of thing I get (from the top of a linux-2.4.2-ac20
tree):

# time make -nsp --no-print-directory -f Makefile .PHONY > /dev/null
make -nsp --no-print-directory -f Makefile .PHONY > /dev/null  28.85s user 3.09s system 97% cpu 32.609 total

This is with the standard Debian packages, zsh-3.1.9.dev8-2 and
make-3.79.1-4.  It's a fast machine (800MHz Athlon) with lots of
memory and decent disks, so it's not that.

I'm guessing there's some difference in make behaviour.  Presumably
this is relevant:

# make -nsp --no-print-directory -f Makefile .PHONY | wc -l
1494859

Anything that's producing that amount of output is going to take a
little while to run.