Re: DEC VT220 and zsh...

On Sat, May 19, 2001 at 02:17:42AM +0000,
Bart Schaefer <schaefer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On May 19,  1:10am, Alan Third wrote:
> }
> } OK, I'm stumped. I got a DEC VT220, connected it to my internet
> } gateway box and stuck a getty on it. Everything is fine until I try to
> } run zsh, which doesn't seem to do anything.
>
> The last time this came up, it was because "stuck a getty on it" really
> meant "stuck an mgetty on it" -- and since the line is a terminal, not
> a modem (the m in mgetty), zsh and mgetty clashed over the exclusive-open
> on the tty device.

Yes, I _do_ remember this one ;-) Though I'm using a DEC VT510 ;-)

> } I had to change my login shell to bash, which works happily. The only
> } thing I wasn't expecting is that $TERM is "linux" rather than "vt220",
> } could this be affecting zsh?
>
> Not in the way you describe, but you probably want to change the getty
> command line in /etc/inittab to provide the correct terminal type.

As I'm also running Debian unstable (aka sid), my line in /etc/inittab
may be of help. Here it is:

T1:23:respawn:/sbin/getty -L ttyS1 38400 vt510
#                                  ^^^^^ ^^^^^- you should change this
#                                  |||||        to "vt220"
#                                  +++++------- the line speed. 9600
#                                               or 19200 may also be
#                                               values you should try
#                                               out if you run into
#                                               problems

CU,
Thomas

--
 Thomas Köhler Email:   jean-luc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx     | LCARS - Linux