Re: Broken /etc/zshrc ?

On Sun, Aug 19, 2001 at 18:06:06 +0000, Bart Schaefer wrote:
> I would think /etc/profile should be sourced in /etc/zprofile, if at all.

Thanks, I've sent a mail to SuSE support about that.

> /etc/zshenv is sourced by *every* zsh, even non-interactive scripts that
> are started with "zsh -f".  /etc/profile is intended to be sourced by
> login shells.  /etc/zshrc is sourced by login shells, but also by other
> interactive shells.  I'm not sure why so many linux distributors thought
> that /etc/profile needed to be read from /etc/zshrc, but it seems to be
> a common problem.

Yes, I have a 6.x RedHat at my lab and there is the same problem.

> } But /etc/profile sets the path (I think this is OK). Thus, if a
> } user sets his path in his .zshenv, then this path is lost because
> } /etc/zshrc is sourced after the user's .zshenv file.
>
> This would still be true with /etc/zprofile, unfortunately.

So, is sourcing the /etc/profile a good idea? Shouldn't it be sourced
only if the shell is a login shell?

> You could put "source ~/.zshenv" in ~/.zshrc ...

I don't like that very much.

> or you could put "readonly path" in ~/.zshenv,

The path is modified, but there are other problems (e.g. ls colors).

> I suppose. Or in 4.0.x ~/.zshenv could start with
>
>     setopt no_global_rcs

This is what I currently do.

>     [[ -o login && -r /etc/zprofile ]] && source /etc/zprofile
>     [[ -o interactive && -r /etc/zshrc ]] && source /etc/zshrc
>     [[ -o login && -r /etc/zlogin ]] && source /etc/zlogin

OK, if I need to read these files, I'll do this.

--
Vincent Lefèvre <vincent@xxxxxxxxxx> - Web: <http://www.vinc17.org/> - 100%
validated HTML - Acorn Risc PC, Yellow Pig 17, Championnat International des