Re: zsh dumping core because I don't grok TRAPEXIT

On Sat, Sep 08, 2001 at 05:50:06AM +0000, Bart Schaefer wrote:
> } 	; I know that 4.0.2 is out now, but I just haven't had a
> } chance to install it yet.
>
> You need to install 4.0.2, or at least 3.1.9-dev-2+, because there were
> several bug fixes in memory management of the exit trap handler shortly
> after the 3.1.9 release.  This is almost certainly what is causing your
> core dump.
	Ah.  It figures.  OK, installing 4.0.2 has been added to
the todo list for this week.

> } I'd still like to know how TRAPEXIT is really supposed to work
>
> I'd like to know why mutt is exiting with 23.  It doesn't when I try it.
	I'll be sending a mail to mutt-users next to discuss
that particular mystery.  :)

> Anyway, TRAPEXIT is supposed to work pretty much like you thought it was.
> It's the only trap-function that -always- behaves as if LOCAL_TRAPS is
> set (which is how it got memory-management problems in the first place).
> That is, the exit trap applies to all functions and subshells called
> from the function that defines it, but it becomes undefined after it
> is called when the defining function exits.
	OK.  The more I think about it, though, the less I see
when TRAPEXIT would really be useful.  How would

function TRAPEXIT {
   do_something
}
do_other_thing

	ever be different than

do_other_thing ; do_something

	?

	-- Sweth.

--
Sweth Chandramouli ; <svc@xxxxxxxxx>
President, Idiopathic Systems Consulting