associative arrays, ip addresses as keys?

I'm trying to use associative arrays to match a counter to different IP
addresses.  I thought the following would do it:

set -A repeats
..... | while read ip count ; do
   repeats[$ip]=repeats[$ip]+$count
done

however, when I try this, I get a floating point exception.  I assume
zsh interprets the ip as a float.

I can do the following:

repeats=(10.2.1.1 7 10.2.2.1 9 10.2.3.1 52)

however, I can't get the results back either: echo $repeats[10.2.1.1]

What am I doing wrong?  The manpage states that anything within the
square brackets will be subjected to arithmatic evaluation, even assoc
arrays.  Is there an easy way?

Thanks;
Jason