Re: delete-word does not delete the entire word...

Bart Schaefer wrote:
> I almost mentioned the -match functions, but decided not to because the
> manual section for them has no examples of the corresponding styles.

Look in select-word-style, which is the simple interface, not requiring
explicit styles set by the user.  If you'd like the styles there shown
in the manual, too, fine.

> } [ delete-whole-word ] :
> }
> } emulate -L zsh
> } setopt extendedglob
>
> Why does this need extendedglob?

It probably doesn't, but I turn that on as a matter of course, since
otherwise it's not there when I need it, or I've made it difficult to
turn it on later, etc.  In any case, whenever I use patterns I assume
extended globbing is present even if I don't use it.

> } # Move the cursor and delete the block in one go for the
> } # purpose of yanking.
> } (( CURSOR = pos1 ))
> } BUFFER="${BUFFER[1,pos1]}${BUFFER[pos2,-1]}"
>
> I'm a little puzzled by that comment.  This is delete-whole-word, not
> kill-whole-word, so there shouldn't be any expectation of yanking ...
> and in fact when I try it I can't yank the word that was deleted.

Yes, I meant `undo' rather than yank.  You should find it undoes in one
go.

> It's clear from kill-word-match that BUFFER edits are not automatically
> propagated to CUTBUFFER.  Which makes sense ...

Indeed, there's a complete separate interface as used in the other
-match functions.  (I should have called this one
delete-whole-word-match for consistency.)

CSR Ltd., Science Park, Milton Road,
Cambridge, CB4 0WH, UK                          Tel: +44 (0)1223 692070

and/or privileged material.
Any review, retransmission, dissemination or other use of, or
taking of any action in reliance upon, this information by
prohibited.
delete the material from any computer.