Re: syntax overview for zsh?

On Mon, Mar 22, 2004 at 09:28:29PM -0800, Bob Schmertz wrote:

> --- Vincent Stemen <zsh@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > but

> > > If you just want to use it as is, just type M-x shell-script-mode
> > (tab
> > > completion works here, too), and it'll put you in Emacs' proper mode.
> >  If
> > > you want to tweak the syntax, the appropriate elisp file is the
> > > non-obvious sh-script.el.  If you want to know how to make it
> > > automatically detect zsh-ness and it's not already doing so (works
> > for me
> > > with no special effort in GNU Emacs if the file starts with
> > #!/bin/zsh),
> > > email me offline and I'll tell you what to put in your .emacs.
> > >
> > > =====
> > > Cheers,
> > > Bob Schmertz
> >
> > You might also want to try ksh-mode in Xemacs which has pretty nice
> > syntax highlighting and it auto-indents nicely.  Although I did
> > customize my indention a bit in ~/.emacs.  That is what I have used
> > for shell programming for years.  I do not like the default indention
> > behavior of shell-script-mode.  It indents everything even though it
> > is not inside a function or control block and it does not seem to
> > re-indent when you hit the <tab> key.  It just indents further.
> >

> This sounds like the behavior I observe when programming in (t)csh.
> Things work fine for me, however, for Bourne-style shells in GNU Emacs (I
> don't have an XEmacs handy for comparison), and ISTR that there was some
> improvement on this front fairly recently, so you might give GNU Emacs v.
> 21 a whirl before declaring it doesn't work.
>
> =====
> Cheers,
> Bob Schmertz

I am running xemacs-21.1.14 but that is a behavior I have noticed in
shell-script-mode for years.  I do not have regular emacs installed
right now to test, but it was always my understanding that both emacs
and Xemacs mostly use the same lisp libraries for the different modes.
I will test again the next time I upgrade Xemacs.

Vincent

--
Vincent Stemen
Avoid the VeriSign/Network Solutions domain registration trap!