Re: terminal resizing and prompt problem

On Sat, 10 Jul 2004 20:41:40 -0700 (PDT)

> On Sat, 10 Jul 2004, Nathan Sommer wrote:
>
> > For each character height I resize vertically, or each character width I
> > resize horizontally, the top line of my prompt is repeated.
> [...]
> > This is terribly annoying, since it means I can't resize my terminal to
> > see more output, since any additional visibility I would have gained is
> > taken up by the additional lines of my prompt.
>
> Precisely how are you resizing the terminal?
>
> Zsh reprints the prompt each time it gets a SIGWINCH signal.  Normally,
> e.g. when dragging the window borders with the mouse, there would be only
> a one such signal delivered at the time the mouse was released.
>
> It sounds as though you -- or your window manager -- is performing e.g.
> six resizes of one line each rather than one resize of six lines, causing
> zsh to receive a stream of SIGWINCH signals.  This is not a bug in zsh.

It looks like the problem is due to the way fvwm (my window manager of choice)
does opaque resizing.  It is doing exactly what you say, six resizes of one
line each.  I happen to enjoy opaque resizing quite a bit, but maybe I'll turn
it off for my xterms.  That's kind of an annoying work-around though, and I'll
still get an extra line every time I resize.  I just may end up doing more
resizing with opaque resize off as well, since I'm not exactly sure what I'm
going to be seeing when I release the mouse button, and this will contribute
more annoying lines.

Am I correct in concluding from your reply that it is impossible to have a
multi-line zsh prompt and not get any extra lines after resizing a terminal?

Thanks,
Nate

--
sommena@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx