Startup Prior to /etc/zsh/zshenv?

I'm trying to figure out some oddities in the behavior of zsh 4.2.0 (i686-pc-linux-gnu) running on devian/unstable. In particular, I'm having trouble understanding the order of execution for the startup files. According to the manual, /etc/zsh/zshenv should be executed before anything else during all shell invocations. I have placed the lines

echo $PATH
alias

at the top of zshenv, in order to figure out what path and aliases are present at the beginning of the invocation process, and they print out

/sbin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/bin/X11:/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin
run-help=man
which-command=whence

So what's setting PATH and making aliases before zshenv runs?
--
Aaron Davies
agdavi01@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx