Re: Airthmetic confusion...

From: Mike Hernandez <sequethin@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Airthmetic confusion...
Date: Mon, 16 May 2005 16:59:27 -0400

Hi,

 I see that "0" is false and !0 is true...but...we
 are doing arithmetic and not logical evaluation.

 Suppose the following situation:
 There is a script which first line set

		set -e

 (exit on error), because your script do something not-undoable.
 Inside the script there is a claculation, which has to do correct
 thing in the sense of for example not accessing inexistant variables
 or not accessing arrays out of bounds.

 The calculations are of non-trivial nature (that's why we let the
 computer do such boring tidy things ;)

 Now a calculation returns "0" as its result and BANG! the script
 exits.

 ?

 Not what was intended, I think.

 As a sideffect a previously existant variable become inexistant by
 assigning a "0"? Not very logical I think.... :O)

 Arithmetic evaluation should be sperated from logical evaluation.

 Happy zshing!
 Meino