RE: Parameter expansion flags question

Bart,

Thanks for the detailed reply - it seems using "read" is the most
straightforward approach. However, in the interests of learning more
about expansions, I've been trying your suggestions and they don't seem
to work as expected.

$ $SITEMGR -i
1:/Citrix/Pres  WI      http://RA.eng.citrite.net/Citrix/Pres
4.5.5.1159      c:\inetpub\wwwroot\Citrix\Pres
1:/Citrix/Pres2 WI      http://RA.eng.citrite.net/Citrix/Pres2
4.5.5.1159      c:\inetpub\wwwroot\Citrix\Pres2

(not sure if Outlook will wrap the above, but the output is actually 2
lines, each starting "1:/Citrix")

My original function correctly finds the first word of both lines:

$ type delsites2
delsites2 () {
        for site in "${(f)$($SITEMGR -i)}"
        do
                sitepath=${${=site}[1]}
                echo "sitepath is $sitepath"
        done
}
$ delsites2
sitepath is 1:/Citrix/Pres
sitepath is 1:/Citrix/Pres2
$

However, when the expansions are combined, it only finds the first word
of the first line:

$ type delsites3
delsites3 () {
        for sitepath in ${${=${(f)"$($SITEMGR -i)"}}[1]}
        do
                echo "sitepath is $sitepath"
        done
}
$ delsites3
sitepath is 1:/Citrix/Pres
$

If I add the ":#pattern" operator to the original function, the "for"
loop is still executed once in the case where $SITEMGR produces no
output:

$ type delsites4
delsites4 () {
        for site in "${(f)$($SITEMGR -i):#}"
        do
                sitepath=${${=site}[1]}
                echo sitepath is "$sitepath"
        done
}

$ delsites
$ $SITEMGR -i
$
$ delsites4
sitepath is
$

One final thing - when I entered the "read" example into the shell as
stated I got syntax errors. These were resolved by using "do" and "done"
instead of braces - is this to be expected?

$ $SITEMGR -i
1:/Citrix/Pres  WI      http://RA.eng.citrite.net/Citrix/Pres
4.5.5.1159      c:\inetpub\wwwroot\Citrix\Pres
$ $SITEMGR -i | while read -A site; {
pipe while cursh> echo $site
pipe while cursh> }
pipe while> }