Re: laptop tty beeps - and /bin/dash?

» On Mon, Aug 21, 2006 at 09:32AM -0700, Bart Schaefer wrote:

> On Aug 21,  2:38pm, Francisco Borges wrote:
> }
> } I have a dell laptop, running Kubuntu and the zsh4.3.2, if I log on a
> } tty (getty BTW), zsh will ignore the no_beep option and... beep away.
>
> no_beep only stops zsh itself from emitting a BEL (ctrl-g) character at
> certain times such as on failed completion.  It doesn't really turn off
> the terminal bell.
>
> Are you saying that failed completions etc. are beeping at you even when
> you setopt nobeep?

Hello,

(Sorry for the delayed reply.)

The beep in my computer *IS* behaving strangely, but it might not be
zsh's fault.

What I know for sure is that, the tty beep behavior was completely
different from the tty behavior I get at the desktop I use at work (same
zsh version, same zshenv|zshrc files).

Two observations:

1. I *used* to get a beep, when hitting ^G with zsh with "setopt
   no_beep" (but without using setterm). (Is that supposed to happen?)

2. if I start the shell with setopt no_beep, I sometimes can't get it to
   beep again by changing the option (again, without ever touching
   setterm).

Just now I remembered that I changed /bin/sh from /bin/bash to /bin/dash
("Debian Almquist Shell"). Could this influence how the beep works?
That was a difference between my work machine and my own laptop.
Tonight I'll test it.

BTW, does anyone has remarks about using /bin/dash as the /bin/sh clone?
I use it because it does make booting faster.

One thing I discovered is that, ksh-like, dash does set or increment
SHLVL.

Cheers,
--
Francisco Borges

BTW... Yesterday I was dealing with the newfound fact that Ubuntu
corrupts the BIOS of Dell laptops. How sweet.