Re: Weird behaviour with exporting PATH

On Sun, Nov 05, 2006 at 01:22:39PM +0100, Stephan Windmüller wrote:
> On Sun, 05. Nov 2006, Frank Terbeck wrote:
>
> > > This file is not processed on my system. Do I have to source it
> > > manually?
> > Stephane probably meant '.zprofile', see
> > <http://zsh.dotsrc.org/Doc/Release/zsh_4.html#SEC17>.
>
> Ah, but this is only sourced for login-shells.

Yes, that's why/because it's a session configuration file.
There, you put the definition of the environment variables and
tty settings... that will affect your login session.

Environment variables and tty settings are inherited by all the
processes started during the session (whose common ancestors are
your login shell).

> > To wipe out duplicates from $PATH you could also issue this command:
> > % typeset -U path
>
> That does exactly what I expected. Thank you!
[...]

It would make more sense not to introduce duplicates in the
first place, that is to define PATH only once.

--
Stéphane