Start mc with every new shell

The only bit of of midnight-commander I really like is the ability to quickly press ctrl+o and get a nice scrollable listing of files, and the n press ctrl+o again to get back to zsh.

So how to start mc with every interactive shell, that too in 'minimized' mode?
I tried:
1. adding mc to .zshrc, but it hangs the chell . adding mc to .bashrc works. 2. looking for a macro app. So that I can send a series of keyboard strokes to start a new zsh shell, start mc and press ctrl+o. AFAIK, the concept of keyboard macros outside vi/emacs is pretty much unknown in unix world, so I'll explain: press a keystroke to send a 'series of keystrokes/hotkeys'. Any such app for unix? I am not talking about macros in zsh, but in X(the whole PC)

From mc's man page >>

C-o when the program is being run in the Linux or FreeBSD console or under an xterm, it will show you the output of the previous command. When ran on the Linux console, the Midnight Commander uses an external program (cons.saver) to handle saving and
              restoring of information on the screen.