Re: Scripting situation I cannot wrap my head around

On 12/5/06, Paul Johnson <paul@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Tue, Dec 05, 2006 at 10:40:41AM -0500, Jean-Rene David wrote:

> However I think a text processing tool would be
> more appropriate than a shell for this kind of
> task:

I was thinking the same thing.

Well all you have is a shell scripting hammer :-)

I had originally thought about using 'read' statements and entering
the conversation directly into the shell, but the more I thought about
it the more it seems like a flat file was the way to go.

Unfortunately the only thing I know about perl is that I've failed to
learn how to use it whenever I tried to learn.

> % perl -ne 'BEGIN { %person=(); } \
>           /^([a-zA-Z]+)(:)(.*)$/ &&  \
>             print "$1" . ++$person{$1} . "$2$3\n";' < dialog.file

perl -pe 's/\w+/$& . ++$person{$&}/e' dialog.file

or maybe you don't really want people to understand what you are doing:

perl -pe 's((?=:))?++${$`}?e' dialog.file

Well I don't really understand either of them, but it works, so I'm
very glad for the help and since it isn't really a zsh question any
more I'll move on.

Interesting conversation, by the way.

OT - Well the actual verbatims usually are fairly interesting.  I'm
taking a unit of CPE (Clinical Pastoral Education) at a local
hospital.  It involves a lot of knocking on the door and walking into
a room having no idea who you are going to meet and whether or not
they will be welcoming (which happens quite often), hostile (which
happens occasionally), busy/asleep (which happens frequently), or
apathetic to your existence on the planet and presence in their room
(which happes the rest of the time).

Unfortunately the details are covered under HIPPA or HIIPA or however
it's spelled.

Thanks for the help ZshFolk!

TjL