Re: Meta-tags

Andrey Borzenkov wrote:
> Arguably zsh should treat \M-x and ESC-x interchangeably; I believe it even
> was the case once but my memory fails me here.

I don't think they were ever explicitly tied together, although "bindkey
-m" sets up the default bindings for Meta as well as escape.

The problem nowadays is that the meta sequences clash with directly
entered multibyte characters (see recent postings, passim).  This
is not only the case with special keyboards; recent Xorg distributions
allow you to create accented characters with AltGr.  On my keyboard
AltGr [ a gaves a with diaeresis/Umlaut, for example.  This will appear
as to the shell as a multibyte key sequence with the top bit set, just
like a \M- key sequence.  Due to the potential problems, bindkey -m will
now print a warning.

That reminds me, too...anyone having problems with entering multibyte
characters directly should check bindkey -m isn't in effect.