Re: Complex forms deprecated?

Marc Chantreux wrote:
[...]
> I think that modern syntax is a simple feature that makes zsh faster to
>  use than any other shell. coming from bash, i was very impressed to write
>
> for f ( *.jpg ) mv $f $f:r.jpeg
>
> instead of
>
> for f in *.jpg; do mv $f $f:r.jpeg; done

I prefer
for f in *.jpg ; mv $f $f:r.jpeg
:-)

> I'm currious about how many of us are using the deprecated syntax. So
> curious that i wrote a poll page to know about it

For me, there is a simple reason to prefer
   if cmd ; then foo ; else bar ; fi
over
   if ( cmd ) { foo } else { bar }

On German keyboard layout, "{" and "}" are notoriously bad to
type (using Alt-gr (=right alt) and 7/0 from the upper keyboard
row) [which is one of the reasons why I mapped "if" to become
   if (_) {
   }
(cursor on "_") in vim for perl hacking...].
Using ";" and "normal" words is not so strange to type...

Ciao,
Thomas

--
 Thomas Köhler       Email:       jean-luc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx