Re: Failing to write to history file if containing directory doesn't exist

On Mon, Oct 08, 2007 at 10:14:03AM -0400, Clint Adams wrote:
> Personally, I'd be a little shocked and annoyed if zsh started creating
> directories without my explicit permission.

I don't know that I'd be shocked, but I would err on the side of
a smaller, faster, more maintainable shell, given how easy to handle
in shell code the problem is.  Shell code is more easily maintained
than C, and for an error condition that should only exist when the
HISTFILE parameter is set, I think adding code to the shell itself
would be overkill.  If you're already setting HISTFILE yourself, it's
not too much extra work to add an mkdir -p above it.

~Matt