Re: clearing the screen without losing anything?

That's an xterm issue.  xterm does have a logging facility built in, and it wouldn't be impossible to clear, read some part of the log, and redisplay it.  I suspect, however, that the result would be exactly what was on the screen before you cleared it, so it probably won't solve your problem.  Which brings to mind:  What is your problem, specifically?  Perhaps someone will have an idea about how to solve it.

Seth

--
Seth Kurtzberg <seth@xxxxxxx>
Hardware and Software Engineer