Persistent history not working

Hi,

I have one Windows 2003 R2 SP1 Terminal Server running zsh under
Cygwin (all latest versions[1]). It uses the same .zshrc as all my
other installation but for some reason history is not saved across
sessions.

This is what I tried: deleted all zsh config files and set manually
"HISTFILE=~/.zsh_history". No success.

I ran Process Monitor and saw that zsh was accessing (or looking for)
.zhistory.lock and some files like .zhistory.xyzs but it never tried
to access .zhistory[1].

Bash (just as a sidenote) does save history on this server.

What else could I do or try to find the reason for this behaviour?

Thorsten
[1] that's taken from memory. I could provide more accurate details